This is a 4-day resident course
Emergency Management Institute (EMI)
National Emergency Training Center (NETC)
16825 S. Seton Ave.
Emmitsburg, MD 21727
This course provides key state staff with updated information on the disaster assistance process and programs. The focus is on management issues the State Coordinating Officer (SCO) may face in relationship with Federal, state, local, and tribal partners in the Joint Field Office (JFO) and Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
Selection Criteria: State and FEMA staff who have disaster management responsibilities such as an SCO, Deputy SCO, Tribal Coordinating Officer, Governorís Authorized Representative, Federal Coordinating Officer (FCO), and Deputy FCO.
- Establish priorities through joint action planning with disaster response and recovery partners.
- Implement and manage state and Federal disaster response and recovery organizations.
- Build partnerships among the state and other disaster response and recovery organizations.
- Apply interpersonal skills to develop positive working relationships.
- Supervise state staff in the JFO or state EOC during a disaster response.
- Manage the stateís role in long-term recovery.
Prerequisite Courses: IS0293, IS0393.a, IS0403, IS0405, IS0634, IS0772
CECs: 12 CECs for CFMs
Course attendance is free, but registration is required. If admitted to the course, FEMA will reimburse local, state, U.S. territory, and tribal government employees for transportation to attend the course, provide free lodging on campus, and free shuttle to/from nearby airports to the EMI campus. The only out of pocket cost for local, state, U.S. territory, and tribal government employees to participate will be for their time, and the on-campus meal ticket (approximately $110/week).
Register here, create a FEMA Student Identification Number (if you don't already have one), then follow instructions to apply for an on-campus course. Applications should be submitted a least 4 weeks prior to the course date. Admissions: 301-447-1000, email@example.com. Applicants should wait for their confirmation letter from EMI with their admission status prior to making travel arrangements.