Chad Berginnis, CFMExecutive Director
Chad Berginnis became executive director of ASFPM in July 2012, after joining the association staff as associate director in 2011. Since 2000, he served the association as Insurance Committee chair, Mitigation Policy Committee coordinator, vice-chair, and chair. He has a Bachelor of Science in natural resources from Ohio State University. Since 1993, his work has focused on floodplain management, hazard mitigation and land use planning at the state, local and private sector level. As a state official, Berginnis worked in the Ohio Floodplain Management Program and was Ohio's state hazard mitigation officer. As a local official, Berginnis administered planning, economic development and floodplain management programs in Perry County, Ohio. In the private sector, he was the national practice leader in hazard mitigation for Michael Baker Jr. Inc.
His responsibilities include oversight, coordination and direction on the following activities.
- Coordinate implementation of ASFPM policies and directives set by the Board of Directors.
- Coordinate and communicate with federal agencies, the Administration and Congress to promote effective policies and programs impacting flood risk, natural disasters and water resources of the nation that promote a sustainable society in an economic, environmental and social context, with a focus on community-based decision making.
- Develop tools, how-to guides and training for community officials and local staff to manage and reduce flood risk using comprehensive watershed and community growth approaches such as "No Adverse Impact."
- Communicate and coordinate with other professional organizations and partners with common goals and interests.
- Provide liaison to and seek input from members, chapters and corporate sponsors.
- Develop conferences, workshops and web-based training, and web source information for flood-risk professionals.
- Oversee a nationwide floodplain manager certification program for professionals in the field.